Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Just Another Dream

The light was slowly fading,
Whether the light of my eyes or the light of nature,
I could not tell.

The stone walls were closing in,
Closing in towards me from all sides,
The air was thinning
and cold was setting in.

Yet I longed,
longed for the impossible,
The specter of a soul that was left in my diseased body wished to wait,
It hoped,
as I lay curled in a a corner
of the stony dungeon.
Shrivelled,cold and waiting !

I thought I heard him
Yes,I did hear him coming,
piercing the cold,
I heard his footsteps approaching.

My weak heart pounded,
faster and faster as his footsteps drew near
A sudden warmth is what I felt,
the warmth of his arms around me,
drawing me towards him
and then I saw him.

The very face that I have loved
for a thousand years or may be more.
The very eyes,the very smile
for which I had been waiting a thousand years or may be more,
My vision faded ,my heart grew heavy.
He held me close to him
and the warmth I felt,
frightened me.

Perhaps this was another illusion,
A mirage that my wait was compelling me to see.
A vision of him that would melt even before this moment passed by.

I cried out 'Leave me alone'
I forced myself to break away.
But his hold was strong,
his touch warm and gentle.
He said,'Will you not allow me to take you!'
I echoed 'Who are you?You are not my love !For though I have been longing his arrival these thousand years I know he would not embrace a shrivelled pestilence ridden body !
You are but a mirage.'

'I am but your love',said he.
'I am the God in you love'
echoed his voice through the stones.
The pause that followed
filled eternity.
His voice sounded again,this time like the rippling waters of a distant mountain fall.

'The time has come',said he.
'To repay truth with love,
to repay wait with love
and above all
to repay love with love.'

My eyes that had dried a thousand years ago,
grew wet again,
the water from them washing away
the sores of my body,
the lights reappeared,
the walls retreated,
and it became warm all around.

He lifted me up and as he said,
'I love you , my love'
The sound of steps faded away across the dungeon.

No comments: